Monday, December 7, 2009
The "Stuck on Stupid" Dictionary #22
Yes here we are once again, adding yet more words to the lexicon of local terms more commonly known here in Toledo as the "Stuck on Stupid Dictionary".
Now for those of you who have somehow managed to miss previous postings in this area (Shame on you, now go back and read all of the postings under the title of SOS, stuck on stupid, or dictionary.), the SOS dictionary is a reference guide to terms which nominally mean something to the rest of the English speaking world, but appear to mean something entirely different to us in Toledo and Northwest Ohio.
1. The preservation of wealth from danger or destruction, most notably performed through economizing.
2. A term apparently understood by neither the Legislature of Ohio, PUCO (Public Utilities Commission of Ohio), or First Energy as it:
- Forces the distribution of "energy-saving" CFL light bulbs to a public that by and large doesn't want them (virtually guaranteeing that they will not be used).
- Charges more for such bulbs to its customers than they would pay if they purchased them on their own, doing anything but "saving" them money.
- Charges that public additionally for the energy "saved" by the use of these bulbs, so as to "save" their lost revenues.