Saturday, January 10, 2009

Where To Blow Smoke

Far too often in this politically correct world, the humble cigar smoker will find themselves in a world that does not allow them the enjoyment of the awful little habit that the past once allowed. 


I am am both pleased and grateful to announce to you that such is always not the case. Regardless of what the smoke Nazis would like you to believe, there are yet places in the world, in Ohio (and even in Toledo) where a proper cigar can be purchased and smoked, and a proper cocktail can be enjoyed while doing so. 

La Casa de la Habana, a Toledo purveyor of fine cigars on Monroe street just east of Tallmadge, continues to offer the true cigar smoking experience, combining an exceptional humidor with a wonderful selection of single malt scotches to create a truly memorable experience. 

Equally memorable, is the relaxed atmosphere of the lounge and stellar service provided by Danielle, the mixologist working her subtle magic behind the bar. The bar and her talents are not limited to the pouring of Scotland's finest exports however, and I am reliably told that she serves one of the best Margaritas in the city. Two separate lounge areas provide ample room, seating, and ventilation for the proper enjoyment of the tobacconist's art, and there are usually a few congenial fellow smokers to pass the time with.  

While not normally using "Just Blowing Smoke" to endorse businesses (as I haven't found a way to make any money doing so), I would be doing a disservice to fellow local cigar smokers if I attempted to keep this a establishment a secret simply for my own use and enjoyment. Take advantage of one of the few guilty pleasures left in life, and feel free in fact, to tell them that I sent you their way (don't worry, they won't hold that against you). Who knows, it's even possible that one of these days you could run into a stogie-smoking curmudgeon during your visit and blow a bit of smoke together.  

Enjoy ... 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

If you think my margarita is good you should try my perfect manhatten...... and where in toledo can you smoke a stogie and drink the best drinks????

Timothy W Higgins said...

Danielle,

Competing with your Margarita appears to be impossible. Adding the Manhattan to the mix becomes inconceivable.

Those wishing to experience the challenge will simply have to take the challenge.

Dawn Wolf said...

Reflecting, I wish I could find the business cards from the four cigar places I enjoy returning to. Let's see there is Signature Cigars in Washington DC on M St NW where a body can sit, smoke, talk, and or watch TV.

Also in DC President's Cigars has two locations, and there is JR's on L Street, not far from Signature Cigars. But these places have no place to sit and smoke. President is my favorite. It is family run by a warm and close Venezuelan family.

Mansfield, Ohio has only one cigar shop. I enjoy that place. The owner is funny. He makes pipes of high quality, and repairs them also. I stop there every year.

In Charles county Maryland I just discovered a great cigar place. Want to recall the name but it is not coming forth. This place has an expansive sitting area. Big stuffy leather chairs in a dark near elegant setting with a nice collection of cigars. Travel straight up route 301 and bang it is there almost swallowed up by the obscene landscape of stores upon stores.

But my favorite places are in front of my house, in parks with my wife, and cat, Teacher, or long walks walking my cigar.

What are your favorite cigar moments?

Timothy W Higgins said...

Dawn,

My favorite cigar moments include smoking one with coach at Ditka's, smoking an illegal Cuban in Canada, and the opportunity to smoke one with you the next time we can get together.

Cigars are a social experience, and like good wine and good whiskey, should be ones that are participated with others.