Friday, January 9, 2009

TFP Column: Wants and Needs

Once again, Michael Miller and the Toledo Free Press have taken life and professional reputation in hand by printing my most recent column, "Wants and Needs". It might be something to think about with the continuing downturn of the economy.  

I also highly recommend the column by Tom Pounds, publisher of the Toledo Free Press, "The Good Fight" for some additional insight on the economy in general and the newspaper industry in particular, as well as an interesting piece by the aforementioned Michael Miller on how he will be losing the rest of his free time on Facebook (as opposed to the time I waste writing this blog)

For those of us locally, there are also some interesting stories on the first round in the coming battle between the city with its mounting budget woes and the union contracts that it must negotiate. Given the Mayor's negotiation style, this process promises to be an updated version of "The Bickersons".  

Given that Toledo is due for somewhere between 2 and 10 inches of snow accumulation, staying inside where its warm, and reading something interesting may be the best plan that you could have.  

Update:

 For those of you who have been looking at the comments and wondering about them, yes it's true that Glenn Beck read my column on his syndicated radio show this morning. I was not contacted ahead of time and was as shocked as anyone to hear it as it happened. As a regular listener to his program however, I was extremely flattered (and humbled) to have him grant my work any value.

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim,

I heard about your "Wants and Needs" on Glenn Beck's radio program this morning.

Keep up the good work!

M

Timothy W Higgins said...

M,

I was rather surprised myself with Glenn reading the column this morning, but was obviously pleased that it was felt to be worthwhile.

Thanks for the encouragement. While I have no pretenses on my abilities, I always seek to improve them.

Anonymous said...

Tim,

Congrats on the major pick-up with Beck! We're working with his show to get the sound clip to post for you. Did Beck mention anything about the superior editing?

MM

Timothy W Higgins said...

I was contacted neither before the pick up, nor have I been contacted since. I am humbled by the pick up however, and grateful for the support that has been forthcoming.

I would be very interested in the sound clip myself, as I was involved when it started and didn't hear the whole thing.

As for the superior editing, I am sure that Mr. Beck being a writer himself is aware that it is only these labors that make any of this readable.

Jill said...

Congrats re: the Glenn Beck pick-up. Although we might not often agree, I really, really enjoy your writing, Tim. It is a great and distinct voice.

Timothy W Higgins said...

Jill,

Thanks. I don't believe that you always have to agree with a person to respect both what they say and the reasoned way in which they say it, which is why I am able to to reciprocate the sentiment.

kck_kat said...

Congrats on the Glenn Beck play on your "Wants and Needs". What an awesome compliment to be quoted by the author, let alone the author being Glenn Beck. It must truly be an encouraging experience! Just don't let it go to your head! :)

Timothy W Higgins said...

kat,

Probably too late about the big head, but it does seem to go with the size that I have in other ways attained. I trust however, that friends, family, and critics who will be far less polite will manage to keep me under control.