Friday, January 2, 2009

TFP Column: New Years Resolutions

 
Owing to the holiday no doubt, much of this weekend's online version of the Toledo Free Press is up and running already, including an offering from this humble writer. But there is a lot more than my normal natural fertilizer production in this week's TFP, including an article on a local student who won a scholarship to Notre Dame for an essay entitled "If I were Mayor". There are also essays from some of those actually seeking the office  
(though personally, I'm more impressed with the young lady).  

Update:
A couple of folks have asked me to add my list of resolutions from this weekend's TFP column to this posting as an additional reminder of some thoughts for all of us in the New Year. I am flattered and happy to do so:
  • I resolve to be less tolerant of those choosing to take more of my hard-earned money for uses that I would not approve of.
  • I resolve to be equally intolerant of those choosing to limit my freedoms in the name of protecting me.
  • I resolve to be completely intolerant of those choosing to do evil to me in the name of the greater good.
  • I resolve to never again vote for the “lesser of two evils”, as evil is evil and being less is no excuse to choose it.
  • I resolve to listen carefully to arguments made against even my most closely held positions, but not to be swayed by the emotional content of any such arguments.
  • I resolve to hold firmly to my principles, even if doing so allows me to be demonized by those who oppose them.
  • I resolve to do more than simply complain about the violations of those principles, no matter who they are committed by.
  • I resolve not to be bullied into silence on the things that I believe in the name of political correctness.
  • Most importantly, I resolve to deal with the governments in whose care I have given power over me on the basis of the documents that limit them. I resolve to use the city charter, state revised code or state constitution, or the Constitution of the United States to judge whether they are using that power legally or correctly. 
  •  
  •  

3 comments:

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Tim,

You've captured the sentiment/mood of many Toledoans in this piece, excellent work!

Timothy W Higgins said...

HT,

Thank you sir. I knew that I was not alone, and knew that somebody had to say it.

kck_kat said...

Well said! The President told us, while gas prices were near $5.00/gal., that we needed to cut our gas consumption by at least 20% and get rid of the gas guzzlers. Well, for a change the people listened and followed! Now Congress is wanting to add a huge increase in gas taxes because people cut their gas consumption, and continue to do so. So let me get this right... we are having to pay a penalty for cutting back on our feasting on foreign oil and being a greener society. I think everyone should write their Congressman and tell them if they vote for this tax, pack their bags. AND THEN MEAN IT!