Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Puppy Prejudice

The news in the Toledo are has been full of appearances by the Lucas County Dog Warden, Tom Skeldon. It appears that Saturday is the last day for Lucas County residents to purchase the proper license for their dog in 2009. After that day, the fee for the license doubles from $25 to $50. Should a pet owner be cited after this for having a dog without a license, there is the potential for additional penalties of $25 and court fees of up to $75. Setting aside the government's right to regulate and license the owning of a pet (a rather large set aside in my opinion), I have to ask where the other licenses are.

Where is the license for turtles and frogs? Why is this only a license for dogs? Where is the license for minks and for parrots? Find me the rules for snakes, fish and ferrets? Show me the tag for a pot-belly pig, or abolish the law, I don't give a fig. Show me the license we need for a cat. Show me, oh show me, I'd love to see that. (Sorry, but I had an irresistible urge to channel Dr. Suess...)

This is nothing more or less than discrimination against dogs and their owners, and I am outraged! I would have thought that in this country of hope and change, in the politically correct world that compassionate people have now created for us, that such a thing would be impossible. Please join with me to fight this blatant prejudice against our canine companions and their human masters.

2 comments:

Roland Hansen said...

How about a license for goldfish or iguanas or hampsters or bunnies?

Timothy W Higgins said...

Roland,

The shame that I feel upon forgetting these special pets is beyond my capacity to deal with.

Almost...