Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Happy Veterans Day

Perhaps no greater responsibility do we have in this country than to pay homage to those who have served in defense of the freedom and liberty that we enjoy today. Perhaps no no greater gift have we than the thanks that we offer for that service. 

To those of you who have served in the Army, the Navy, the Marines, the Air Force, and the Coast Guard we tender our love, our respect, and our gratitude for the efforts and sacrifices that you have made. (I have a few things that I would like to share with the moneychangers in this temple of freedom seeking to take advantage of this hallowed day in order to sell us a car, a mattress, or a television set; but I will not dishonor the sacrifice of veterans in this post by placing it here. But as the Irish say, "I've got you in me book!" and will deal with you in an appropriate manner later.)  

Update: 

I have been spending the evening of Veterans Day listening to the soundtrack from the HBO series "Band of Brothers" (also often broadcast these days on the Arts and Entertainment Channel). This was the favorite music of my late father, who was likewise enamored of the series, even though it depicts service in Europe when his was in the Pacific. 

It brings back some truly wonderful memories, both of him and the show. I should also point out that anyone who is not moved by this music, written by Michael Kamen, has no appreciation either of music or of the bond experienced by those who have served in the armed forces. While never being so blessed myself, I can at least share some small part of this experience by listening to the joy, sorrow, and majesty of the human condition embodied in this music. 

No comments: