Monday, January 28, 2013

TFP Column: College Education


While I have been rather tardy in the delivery my work to the TFP lately, this week I found myself almost too early.  The implications of an issue that I had been paying minor attention over the last week struck struck a chord over the weekend after reading an article by Neil King Jr. in the Wall Street Journal; and I thought that it was something worth talking about.

You see, the Republicans had decided to meet in North Carolina, something that I'm sure had nothing to do with the fact that the weather is warmer there this time of year than in say Minneapolis; or that the Democrats had their national convention there in 2012.  It seems that like every political party does after losing an election, some of the party faithful like to get together to figure out what they did wrong and to discuss some ideas on how to do it better.  During this year's GOP gabfest, a little understood part of the system of presidential voting was getting a second look by a number of Republicans during that meeting.

Sure I could tell you about it here, but then you would miss the "College Education" that I'm happy to provide in this week's effort.  It's quite amazing what small changes on the the parts of States might make in the larger national picture.

Of course this is my second effort over just the last three or four days, and comes just barely after the distribution of the print edition.  This doesn't mean that I won't come up with something else before next weekend (in spite of it being a short week for me owing to some personal travel), but it does mean that I won't have a clue of what's coming up in either the mid-week "Star" edition or next weekend's.  So I guess you're going to have to look for yourself if you want to have a clue about what's going on in the Glass City by reading Toledo's largest Sunday circulation and Ohio's best weekly paper for years ... The Toledo Free Press.

No comments: