It seems that even more "Isn't Funny ..." ideas occurred to me after the first such posting was put up. I even got a few suggestions from friends such as Brad Reynolds that needed to have a place somewhere in a listing. Like the previous list, these little bits of life's ironies are not in fact, the periodic WTH (pardon my capitals) moments that suddenly occur to us, but more in line with the overall ludicrous nature of what we laughingly call civilization in general, and our legal and political systems in particular. Because these are additional offerings in a second posting, I couldn't decide how to phrase this one. I therefore chose to both applicable word usages in yet another bit of irony. (Though I suppose that 'Isn't It Also Funny would be a more proper grammatical form. Get over it.)
- Isn't funny that one of the centers of liberalism in this country (Hollywood) makes much of its money from movies depicting things that Liberals absolutely abhor and the rest from traditional Conservative values?
- Isn't it also funny that the government pays people to produce more of things that it says are bad (tobacco and oil), then makes other people pay them in turn (cigarette and gas taxes) for using what are supposed to be the bad products produced under such government encouragement?
- Isn't it funny that the only thing more annoying that a politician giving another fairly well-written, but seemingly endless set of teleprompter prepared remarks are the hours of even more boring analysis, historical perspective, and critical parsing of those remarks by 'inside the beltway' pundits?
- Isn't it funny that some of the worst acting on television comes from those working in reality TV shows that are attempting to portray ... themselves?
- Isn't funny, speaking of reality shows, that many of them are people who are rich or attempting to become so, at a time when those of wealth are considered little more than an object of scorn?
- Isn't it funny that the more channels that you have on your cable system, the less likely that you will be able to find something you want to watch on TV?
- Isn't it funny that after queuing up hundreds of movies on Netflix that you want to make sure to watch at one point, that you can go down the entire list later, unconvinced that you want to give any of them the 90 minutes required?
- Isn't it funny that some of the same states that have very strict laws against driving while under the influence also have drive-thru liquor stores?
- Isn't it funny that wineries take great pains to provide stopper systems to keep air out of wine, but recommend that you let a recently opened bottle 'breathe' before serving it?
- Isn't it funny the longer these lists get, the less amusing any of this becomes?
Yeah, I'm still not laughing either...