Friday, May 13, 2011

TFP Column: Worth Preserving

A strange coincidence led me to pen an effort for this weekend's Toledo Free Press, when I discovered that Libbey High School (which has been much in the news again lately) was built just one year before the main building of my old alma mater, Mt Carmel. And while both were city schools built in neighborhoods that have since seen great change (as have the structures themselves), the fates of the two are far from the same. I hope that you find my take on what the passage of time has done to both and why, "Worth Preserving", worth reading. Besides the research for the piece allowed me to remember (and maybe brag a bit) about a place that still holds a significant place in my life. And to put up these images here: The Past .... The Present ... And as for the future of this venerable old academy, it looks brighter than ever; perhaps because of what they instill in their students from the first day that they see the school crest.
Zelo Zelatus Sum Pro Domino Deo Exercituum
"With zeal have I been zealous for the Lord God of Hosts"


I hope that you get to enjoy some part of what promises to be a wonderful weekend, and to enjoy Toledo's largest Sunday circulation newspaper, the Toledo Free Press.

No comments: