Tuesday, May 31, 2011

TFP Column: I've Been Framed ... Badly

The debate is heating up in Congress over the debt limit, and the rhetoric from both sides of the aisle has little to do with the issues at hand. Congress has in fact become little more than a shopaholic whose credit cards are over the limit. 


Even before today's madness began, I was seeing trends in the discussion which were disturbing. It's bad enough when lawmakers can't come up with the answer, it's worse when they don't even know how to ask the question. This led to my offering for this week's Toledo Free Press, "I've Been Framed ... Badly"


I even managed to use the words of economists who are much smarter than I am about everything, but most especially about what this debate is actually about and how Congress is treating their entrenched positions. I hope that you find the words of Thomas Sowell, Walter E Williams, and Henry Rosovsky as interesting and enlightening as I did. I hope that the words I used to fill in the gaps between also have some value. 


Speaking of value, what could be a better value than this week's TFP (it is after all, a free newspaper published twice a week). With the short week, the Star edition will be on the stands before you know it, with the regular weekend edition only a few short days behind. Summer is finally beginning to make an appearance, so you ought to spend some time outside enjoying Toledo's largest Sunday circulation newspaper, the Toledo Free Press.

No comments: