Perhaps this last was the most impressive, not because that form of government has survived for over two hundred years, when few Monarchies and empires of the past have surpassed that number. No, the more impressive fact is that after passing the Articles of Confederation, they were both smart and humble enough to recognize that their first attempt at constructing a form of government was doomed to eventual failure and were able to restructure those original principles into a much more cohesive and successful document to both define and limit their form of governing, the Constitution.
Not since the battles of Lexington and Concord have those principles been under such assault. Not since the heady days of Teddy Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson, or of the overbearing nature of the FDR dynasty (Presidency just isn't a strong enough term for that misguided period of American history), has that form of government been so close to failing in its support of those founding principles.
The national government in the last year (and I include Bush II in this), has or is attempting to:
- Turn over massive government funding and influence to a combined community organizing group and union, ACORN / SEIU
- Nationalize the better part of the US auto industry
- All but nationalized mortgage, mortgage insurance, and student loan industries
- Is attempting to control take control of the banking industry
- Is attempting to set salary levels at private corporations
- Is attempting to take control of health care insurance and health care dispersal
- Is considering subsidization of the newspaper industry, something which must inevitably signal the death of the free press in this country
- Demonize those assembling in Tea Parties as disaffected, racist, or corporate puppets
- Refuse to investigate the ACORN/SEIU organization apparently guilty of a variety of offenses and seek instead to investigate two private individuals uncovered the nefarious deeds of this group (though they likewise sought to remove funding from this group)
- Attack companies such as Humana Healthcare, whose very existence may be threatened by government pursuits, with investigation, fines, and sanctions if they do not stop disseminating the facts regarding the government's attempts.
- Saturate the airwaves with non-stop government directed speeches in justification of such abuses
Our founding principles are under the largest threat that they have been since being codified in the Declaration of Independence. Whether they, and the society that we are a part of survives may be up to the actions of individual citizens in opposition to that attack.