Tuesday, July 17, 2012

TFP Column: Unsustainable


After a barely noticed respite, I am back in front of the keyboard again.  Though not a holiday in the truest sense of the word, it was at least a few days without the pressure of producing an 800-1000 word piece for the blog or the newspaper.  Speaking of which, during this all-too-brief hiatus I attended a public meeting on public transportation; an experience which might best be compared to the anticipation and performance of root canal surgery ... without anesthetic.

While the midst of contemplating suicide through a series of small but very painful paper cuts, I kept hearing an old Irving Gordon tune which at one time turned into perhaps the greatest father/daughter duet of all time (at least in my humble opinion).  The results of this recurring them became my first returning effort for the TFP, "Unsustainable".

I won't ruin the article for you by recounting any of the details of it for you, but I will tell you that I did attempt my best imitation of Bernie Taupin (the lyricist on many of Elton John's best).  Since I'm in the mood not to ruin things for you, I will also not attempt to tell you what's best in the rest of the paper as well.  This is partly because I don't want to spoil the surprise, but mostly because I simply don't know.

So if you want to know what's going on in the Glass City and Northwest Ohio this week, you're simply going to have to read the mid-week 'Star' edition; as well as Toledo's largest Sunday circulation and Ohio's best weekly newspaper, the Toledo Free Press.

You know, since I'm in such a good mood, I think I share the pleasant experience of the tune that was running through my head as inspiration.





No comments: