Friday, April 30, 2010

TFP Column: Leaving It To Professionals

It is the last day of April and my last column of the month for the Toledo Free Press. It may even be my last effort ever for this fine publication. Having met with Michael Miller (editor-in-chief of the TFP) on the subject a bit earlier in the month, Michael rightly points out (and I agree) that to be relevant to Toledo market and growing readership of the TFP, one really should be a part of that city and immersed its culture. This is something that will prove difficult for me in the days ahead when I will have left Toledo for Kansas City. He has graciously left the door open a tiny bit however, and the challenge will be for me to produce something worthwhile for the TFP readership from my new home. I don't know if such a thing is possible (then again, I don't know if I have done so in previous efforts), but I've always enjoyed a challenge and it will be interesting to see if it will be possible to pull it off. The idea of relevance is something that I took to heart in this weekend before the May primary, as a significant part of the discussion in the mainstream media has recently turned to who deserves to be heard in the marketplace of ideas. It reminded me of many of the same discussions about who is qualified to serve in elective office. I therefore hope that you find "Leaving It To Professionals" as a worthy effort and perhaps a fitting end to my contributions to the TFP. My work for the Toledo Free Press has been one of the great joys of my time in Toledo and of my life, and I will always be grateful to Michael and to publisher Tom Pounds for the opportunity they have given me to submit material and for the help and support that they have given me throughout these efforts (and I'm going to stop now before I get sloppy about it). This being the week before the primary, there is going to be lots of stuff (important stuff) for readers in Toledo to catch up on. Perhaps the wealth of information contained in this week's edition will even be enough to inspire more than the normal handful of dedicated individuals to GET OUT AND VOTE! As usual for spring in Toledo, the weekend promises little but rain (though the temperatures will be pretty good). My recommendation would be to enjoy the warmth, ignore the rain, and try and find out everything that's going on in Toledo and NW Ohio in the Toledo Free Press.

No comments: