What if you took a socially-progressive liberal, added a healthy does of a rabid environmentalist, and topped the whole thing off with a dash of religious fundamentalism? What would you end up with?
Can you imagine what a world with this type of fanatic would look like and the contradictions that would ensue:
- Hybrid, or at least fuel efficient, car bombs.
- Environmental groups who kill anyone and everyone just to reduce the damage that human beings are doing (in their opinion) "killing the planet".
- Global warming death squads that attack oil company headquarters, drilling platforms, coal mines, and refineries.
- The death penalty by beheading for anyone using more than their allotted carbon footprint.
- Solar and wind-powered bomb factories.
- IED's that would no long target military vehicles, but instead blow up SUV's.
- Cities which are riddled with plague as PETA and other nature groups prevent us from killing disease-ridden rats and mosquitoes.
- Suicide bombers who, riddled with guilt over the violence being perpetrated in society, kill not only themselves and their opposition groups, but often die attacking their own group as well.
- Sectarian violence with gangs killing each other using bio-degradable bullets.
- Universal health care for all of those injured in the above described sectarian violence.
- Government mandated weight, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels, with strict diet controls for violators.
- Every child born to be given $5,000.00, with additional matching government funds provided as the child grows. These funds to be used to cover the child's cost of weapons and ammunition.
- Designer scarves for those who need anonymity for their terrorist activities, but are more committed to the money that they are raking in than to the cause that they are fighting for.
- Life in prison without parole for killing a tree, a porpoise, or a whale; but not for killing a person.
There are few times in my life when I am grateful in life for the age that I have reached. The above listed prediction in my rather flawed crystal ball makes me glad that I will probably be taking a dirt nap before they actually occur. For those of you younger than me (and feeling pretty smug about it right up until now, weren't you): Be afraid, be very afraid.