Thursday, February 11, 2010

TFP Column: The Courage of One's Convictions

With the permission of editor-in-chief Michael Miller, I got to have a little fun with this week's effort for the Toledo Free Press. 


You see, for many weeks I have been noticing that the tone of comments on editorials written for this publication (and not just my own) have met with increasingly hostile and anonymous comment. I have written here before about what I find to be a rather cowardly form debate, but never to so wide an audience, so this was my opportunity to applaud the efforts of fellow columnists (whether I agree with their opinions or not), while putting in proper perspective what I feel are those of some of their supporters and detractors alike. 


If all holds true to form, I suspect that this rather incendiary effort will inspire some lively discussion at best and a measure of sophomoric attack on yours truly at worst. If not, at least I have managed to fire a shot across the bows of some of these shadow dwellers, whose arguments seem to amount to little more than those of a petulant child saying: "You're a doo-doo head!" 


With all of the political nonsense surrounding the Lucas County Republican Party and the impending tax efforts of the City and the Toledo Public Schools, there is plenty of good reading in this week's TFP, and little better way to spend what promises to be a cold and miserable weekend in NW Ohio.

4 comments:

Roland Hansen said...

Gee, Tim, I do not know how to respond to this. I have never really thought about the anonymous, trolling, flaming, a-hats that do such things; nor of the non-thinking, gray-matterless, hypocritical nincompoops who actually use their real names.

Oh, Tim. Do you want to buy a bridge?

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Tim,

Just remember that being called a doo doo head comes with the territory; it is the price of fame.

(Or, is it the price of flame?)

:-)

Timothy W Higgins said...

Roland,

I know that we have debated it among ourselves on the blogs, but have been amazed in recent weeks to see it carry over to the TFP. I decided that it was time to draw a line in the sand.

Timothy W Higgins said...

Dave,

I have never minded paying the price, as you well know; though in my case I fear it is the price of infamy.