Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Convictions







Update:
2/4/10


It appears that you will have to wait for the column in the TFP, as space considerations in this week's publication got it bumped. I have been assured that will be both in print and online next week however, allowing for some unintended and unneeded anticipation.
----------------------------
I have been writing columns for the TFP for some time now, and one of the toughest things that I have had to learn is that once you turn in an opinion piece in, you have to live with others making comment upon it. I am far from unwilling to have my arguments debated, though I sometimes find the form that these comments take a bit of a disappointment to say the least.

This week, with the cooperation and assistance of its editor-in-chief Michael Miller, I am attempting something new. I will be linking to this posting from my latest effort for the TFP instead of the other way around, so as talk a little bit about the tone of discussion in that publication recently, and to provide for some of its readers some insight into the convictions that I hold near and dear.
In doing so I hope to give those who believe that they agree with me a better understanding of why they might, and those who appear to disagree with me a better reason to do so.

I will post a link to the TFP Column as a follow up as soon as it is available.

  • I believe in the necessity of government, though I believe that the least amount of government that we can get by on is the best for all concerned.
  • I believe that it is the responsibility of citizens to pay for such government to provide for police, fire, and military protection; but not for one that wishes to speculate in the real estate market or compete with and own private businesses.
  • I believe in the Constitution of the United States exactly as written. I believe that not only does this document properly and superbly limit the scope and power of government, but that it does so without the need to be interpreted as a “living document”; since the ability to adapt or change it when necessary is provided in the process to amend it.
  • I believe that new legislation should be put to the Constitutional test before passage. While it is the purview of the Supreme Court to decide the Constitutionality of legislation, Congress at least checking to see if such legislation is within their purview would simply be fulfilling the oath of office that they take.
  • I believe in the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution, and that the federal government has violated and subverted the rights of people and states that were insured under it.
  • I believe that the Seventeenth Amendment is wrong and should be repealed. When we moved away from the appointment of Senators by state legislatures to the popular vote; we subverted a protection provided to us by the Founders in the legislative branch of government, robbed the individual states of their power to make at least one legislative house answerable to them, and began the creation of the current political party gridlock that many of us so detest.
  • I believe that the process of governing in this country is currently subverted by the “two party system” which places higher value on party loyalty than on loyalty to the electorate, or to personal and fiscal responsibility.
  • I believe that neither the Democrats nor the Republicans hold exclusive province to the answers to this nation's problems, and that the continuing focus on party politics distracts us and them from finding those answers.
  • I believe that pensions for members of Congress and many other elected officials should be abolished. It was never the design of the Founding Fathers to create an oligarchy of professional politicians, and in the absence of workable term limits for these offices the best way to get back to citizen service in government is to force them back into the private sector to provide for their own futures.
  • I believe that far too much of the legislative and regulatory power in government resides in the hands of faceless bureaucrats, neither elected by nor responsible to the people; whose only goal is to gather more power and funding to their respective fiefdoms.
  • I believe that it is not the province of government to support the arts, subsidize businesses, crops, or forms of media; nor do I believe that it is possible for it to create jobs. Instead it is the responsibility of government to provide an environment conducive to the such support, subsidizing or creation by the private sector.
  • I believe that anyone who thinks that we live today in a free market economy is fooling themselves, and that many of the problems that we see with John Stossel rightly calls the “crony capitalism” in the US are a direct result of the poor attempts by the government to manage something far too large and complex for even experts to control, let alone politicians.
  • I believe that the current tax code is confusing and confiscatory and cannot be repaired, but must instead be scrapped and rewritten from scratch.
  • I believe that I know better what to do with my money than government at any level; and that if allowed to keep more of it I would: stimulate the economy, provide support for those less fortunate than myself, and perhaps even save enough to provide for my own medical care and retirement.
This is certainly not the complete list ladies and gentlemen, but it should be enough of one to give you an idea of where I am coming from. I hope that they provide some insight, some reason for discussion, or at least some entertainment; and will look forward to what I expect will be a lively dialogue of them.


7 comments:

Ben said...

Hmmm.

I have to say that I disagree with you on the 17th amendment. If all the Senators were all appointed, they would all be just party hacks, as opposed to now when only most are.

I do not fall into the category of some, who think that Governors in most states (45 or 46 i think) that have appointment power in case of a vacancy. This should stay as is, and should factor into a vote for governor. This person may be appointing the next senator from your state.

I see what you are saying, but I dont agree a state legislature appointing a senator would be held accountable as much as an actual senator who has to stand for election every 6 years.

Ben said...

I should say I dont fall into the category of some who think that Governors in most states SHOULD NOT have appointment power.

Timothy W Higgins said...

The original design of Congress provided for the House to he responsible to the people and the Senate to be responsible to the states. This model provided protection of and responsibility to the state. It would also make the Senate able to spend more time doing the business of the country than running for re-election.

I might be persuaded otherwise if voter turnout approached a super majority for any election, but with the regular 20-30% who vote, they can hardly be seen as representing the will of the majority.

Returning some of that power to the states will not eliminate politics, but it will return power to state governments which have been made superfluous by the Feds.

Ben said...

Yeah, I see what your saying....but that would take away one of my favorite topics to write about.

Timothy W Higgins said...

Now that's something that I can understand Ben! Heaven forbid that we should have our target rich environments reduced.

On the other hand, it it government. The likelihood that it will get fixed is less than the one that the BCS will.

Daniel Jack Williamson said...

I agree 100% with the principles you've outlined.

While the Senators appointed by state legislatures are likely to be political party hacks, I think we'd still see a lot more turnover in the Senate if the 17th were repealed. After all, state legislatures often change hands from one party to another, thus a Senator would be unlikely to serve out a life-long term in office.

The trappings of power for Senators are very seductive, as I wrote about on my blog:

http://buckeyerino.com/2010/01/21/in-dc-on-91409-the-beltway-cocoon/

Anything we can conceive of to burst the bubble Senators live in and bring them back to reality would be a good thing.

Ben said...

DJW, I dont know if thats true on turnover. I think it would be the same it one-party dominated states, where the same senator can once elected, basically have that seat for life.