Friday, October 9, 2009

TFP Column: Issue 3

I have once again put my two cents (not sense) in for this weekend's Toledo Free Press, this week weighing in on State Issue 3, which will be on the ballot in November. 

Being a rather strict Constitutionalist, I am not a terribly big fan of the use of a Constitutional Amendment this way, and I go into a bit of just why that is. 

This weekend's TFP is rather unique on the subject of Issue 3, in that the Publisher Tom Pounds (who I respect greatly) has weighed in on the other side of the issue from me; while Editor In Chief Michael Miller (another person on that respect list) slides a rather interesting and extensive piece right in the middle of the road on the subject. 

It's not often (at least I've never heard of it), that you see a newspaper do this kind of thing. There's a lot going on in the rest of the TFP, and the only way you are going to know what's going on in the Glass City this week is to give it a read this weekend.  

(Just as an FYI, there are different versions of my column in the print and electronic version this week. The print version went in a while back, but Michael Miller allowed me to update the column for the electronic version.)

2 comments:

Roland Hansen said...

The way the Ohio Constitution is so frequently amended is abominable. We mess with the state constitution way too much.

Maybe, we need a constitutional amendment to revise the way in which the Ohio Costitution is amended. Better yet, let's throw the whole messy thing out and adopt a new state constitution that would provide guarantees and protections in a manner similar to our United States Constitution along with a more stringent methodology for the amendment process.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Tim,

I enjoyed (and heartily agree with) your posting on this topic and am in agreement with what you said.

Yet, I find myself also in agreement with Roland and the abuse that we put our state Constitution (or let others abuse it).

Where's that darned "common sense" when you really need it???