Saturday, March 15, 2008

15 Minutes

It seems as though my local weekly newspaper, the Toledo Free Press, has decided that it would be a good idea to profile some of the local bloggers. Michael Miller, it's editor-in-chief, further decided that it would be a good idea to do a profile on yours truly first (a decision that he may soon come to regret). For those brave souls who have enough courage, clicking on this link lead you to it. This means that I am about to get some limited form of exposure (probably indecent) and notoriety (something that in my past has usually carried negative consequences). In other words, the clock is ticking on my 15 minutes of fame.

While I was pleased to realize that anyone beyond friends and a few twisted individuals were actually paying attention to what I had been doing, I was forced to question the lack of judgment on the part of The Free Press in considering me worthy of such notice. That they should do so in an issue dedicated to "Brain Gain", only speaks further to my amazement and to Mr. Miller's keen sense of irony. When asked to participate, I took great pains to point out that there are many bloggers in the Toledo area that cover far more important issues than I do, and do a much better job of it (and you know who you are)

Those of you not visiting for the first time might even recall that I have more than once called myself the comic relief to those far better and more serious efforts. I would therefore like to apologize here and now to you serious participants in the blogosphere for what I am sure is the unintended insult to your efforts that this profile creates. I believe that while Michael was doing this feature with good intentions, by placing me first on the list (or anywhere else on it for that matter) he has unwittingly condemned by association, those of you who follow.

There is some good news here, in that by having me go first the rest of you will all undoubtedly come off looking far more intelligent by comparison (this may have something to do with the fact that my IQ and shoe size are similar numbers). While no one involved at The Free Press would admit it, I sometimes think that this may have secretly been their plan all along. For those of you selected for these future profiles, let me point out that your brief notoriety will provide something additional to look forward to. Working with Rachael and Lad, the reporter and photographer that the Free Press sent my way, was a truly enjoyable experience. They made what I would have expected to be a very uncomfortable situation a rather painless process. I am sure that your experience with them will be equally as pleasant as mine was. 

So this is my 15 minutes then, huh. I suppose that I should be reveling in it while it lasts (it is only 15 minutes after all), but it really doesn't feel any different than normal yet. (Yes I know, this a rather curious term to use in a sentence regarding my life.) I doubt that anyone will be stopping me in the street for my autograph or asking me to appear on the local talk show circuit. Neither do I expect that new career opportunities will suddenly present themselves, or that my love life will improve as a result of this brush with fame; and I guess that's OK with me (though a couple of talks shows might be kind of fun). It may bring a few new people to the site at least, and that's a good thing. Anyone who writes does so to be read, and the more who do so the merrier. Who knows, maybe such attention will inspire me to write better, and that couldn't hurt anything. 

Despite my apparent cynicism on the subject however, I am grateful to Michael Miller for the opportunity that he has presented to me here. I am likewise grateful for the chance to get my 15 minutes out of the way, allowing me to me return to the mindless tedium of my every day existence and fade quietly away into obscurity. (One minor correction on the profile. I have 4 grandchildren, not 3. I don't know which one Rachael forgot, but I consider each of them rather important.) 


8 comments:

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Whoa!

Congrats on the fleeting 15 minutes of fame (which I'm guessing are up by now) Tim ;-)

Your writing style (if you had any doubts) certainly distinguishes you from the rest of us schlubs, of that I am certain.

Relish the glory for however long it lasts, you deserve it ;-)

Timothy W Higgins said...

hooda,

Kind words indeed, and you are right about the 15 minutes being up. It was OK except for the repetitious "Final Jeopardy" music. Be careful, your turn will undoubtedly come.

As for the doubts, Charles Schultz of Peanuts fame put it best,

Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night."

Anonymous said...

i figured that in order to celebrate your newfound celebrity, i should stand up a livejournal feed to better read your blog.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/justblowinsmoke/ is out there now for all of us to lazy to actually visit multiple websites in a day.

Timothy W Higgins said...

livinginfits,

I am humbled by such inclusion, and know that I am unworthy of it. I will never the less seek to earn the honor that has been granted to me this day.

(Sorry, I'm on my 2nd episode of John Adams on HBO, and the need to pontificate was overwhelming.)

... thanks for the vote of confidence

Brian Maxson said...

Hi Mr Higgins,

Enjoyed your site, you're doing a fine job.

Followed the link from the TFP link, for stastical purposes only. :)

Thank you

Brian

Timothy W Higgins said...

Brian,

Thank you for the kind words sir, but I think that I only became "Mr" Higgins when my Senior status became apparent from the picture.

OK, if sympathy respect is all I can get ...

Publius said...

So when is this puff piece supposed to hit the stands?

Publius

Timothy W Higgins said...

Publius,

"puff piece..." Very good indeed, both accurate (in more ways than one) and clever.

This was the latest weekend edition of the Free Press 3/14/08. I discovered one at the gas station today while refueling on coffee (cheaper than gas). As I suspected, no autograph was requested.