Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Six Degrees of Illogical Separation

A person whose opinion I value has shared with me that I would better serve both this site and my audience by reducing the verbiage in some of my postings. 

Taking such things seriously (and knowing that I have talked too much for years) led me to consider the concept of brevity in all things. That in turn led to the creation of a string of quotes in which brevity was a part. (Besides, this is a crazy week, I am working at a conference, and I don't really have the time to do a real posting any justice.) 

In an effort therefore to be more to the point, and perhaps take this blog to a new level of absurdity, I present the following quotes as a sort of warped "connect the dots" form of poetry for you:

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde  
"I am agnostic; I do not pretend to know what many ignorant men are sure of." - Clarence Darrow  
"You can pretend to be serious; you can't pretend to be witty." - Sacha Guitry
" A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire  
"Brevity is the sole of wit." - William Shakespeare
" Brevity is the sole of lingerie." - Dorothy Parker

(... yeah, I know that this whole thing appears silly on the surface, but it is almost a form poetry after all. Besides, I really like the last one.)

2 comments:

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

I really like that last one too!

What grinds me is that commercial where the woman says, "We've learned verbiage..."

IN the very next sentence she says/calls "verbiage" words...

I know that has nothing to do with what you wrote except that I saw the word "verbiage" again and went through a traumatic flash-back...

Go ahead and use all of the words that you want, it reads like a free flowing thought stream which kinda backs up the suspicion that there is somebody at home, with all of the lights on ;-)

Timothy W Higgins said...

hooda,

I understand what you are saying, as my life seems to be a journey from one traumatic flashback to another.

As for the free flowing part, thank you, but I fear that the flow is simply what rolls downhill. And where the lights are concerned ... not so much.