Friday, April 1, 2011

TFP Column: The Beam In Our Own Eye

I sat down Tuesday evening with every intention of writing my normal mid-week rant on society. (I really did!) The next thing I knew, I had penned an effort worthy of submission to my friend and hero, editor-in-chief of the Toledo Free Press Michael Miller.


I think that it was the result of the President's non-explanation of why we are shooting missiles and dropping bombs on Libya, the assumption that somehow the United States has somehow been appointed as the world's policeman (mostly by those in the US government), and the combination of ignorance and indifference to the history of this country that I see constantly exhibited these days.


The result of these efforts was some 750 words that seemed to write themselves: "The Beam in Our Own Eye". Agree or disagree if you will, but I hope at least this effort will inspire some to pick up a history book every once and a while and stop viewing the history of this country through the rose-colored glasses of a Mel Gibson movie.

2 comments:

Roland Hansen said...

Tim,
That article is just one more issue on which you and I agree. It never ceases to amaze me that the two of us with different political perspective agree on so many things while not agreeing on so many things. The more we disagree, the more we agree. And this piece that you have written regarding the frequency with which the United States throughout history has violated the very principles upon which our country was founded is much the same as I have been opining throughout all of my adult years, of which there have been many. Why does no one seem to understand or accept these truths as you have so well described? Selective perception and reasoning, I suspect; that and complete ignorance. Oops.

Timothy W Higgins said...

Roland,

I believe that the reason for often agreeing is that while we may come from opposite sides of the political spectrum, neither of us will sacrifice logic, reason, or common sense for the purpose of partisanship.

As for the subject at hand, I believe that it's simply that few have been taught true American history. (Is it even in taught in school these days? Fewer still will make the smallest attempt to discover it on their own.

What still amazes me in the piece is that I was able to make my point without pointing out "The Patriot Act", something which could have proved my point on its own.

Thanks as always mi Amigo.