Sunday, May 11, 2008

Special Posting: Happy Mother's Day

After careful consideration this year, I have chosen to return to the days of my youth and use my creativity in dealing with the Hallmark Holiday known as Mother's Day. (OK, I waited too long, and I am down to the electronic equivalent of the the cut and paste card in order to get something to her on time.) This tardiness is no reflection on this wonderful woman, or on the love and respect that she has earned from her children over the years.

My siblings and I were not an unruly bunch growing up, but I am sure that we presented our share of challenges. This was made probably made more interesting for her by the fact that our father worked nights for the lion's share of the time during our upbringing, and traveled extensively afterwards. That left the lioness protecting the cubs from threats foreign and domestic, and protect them she did. Some days found her breaking up the natural squabbling that occurs when there are four siblings under the same roof, others saw her wading into a crowd far beyond her weight class to restore order to an unruly mob. Some days found her acting as referee during the the occasional youthful shouting matches at home, while other saw here performing the same function at hockey games (though not officially, of course). In the end she gained the respect of those around her, and her advice was always listened to and often heeded (even the refs finally broke down and gave her a striped shirt).

An avid sports fan during her years in Chicago, she expanded her fanatical support of the Cubs and Bears to include the Chief and the Royals, and later the KU Jayhawks. Somehow she is able to keep player rosters, performance levels, personal quirks, and character flaws on each player of every one of those teams straight in her head; with a perfect recollection of detail at the ready. She does this too with a family of truly Catholic proportions spread throughout the country. Confronted with a name or a face, she is immediately able to place them by parents, siblings, children of their own, city of residence, and time since last seen. (A trait which she somehow failed to pass on, at least to this offspring.) I am constantly amazed to see relations approach to say hi to "Aunt Sis" (a nickname picked up long ago), never expecting to be recognized or remembered; only to have her reveal facts and figures to that person and ask questions of the most exacting detail about their current lives.

And so it is only right that we her children, remember her on this holiday first celebrated on May, 10 1908 in Grafton, West Virgina. In spite of the hype that has come to be associated with this day, it is truly right that we pay homage to one who contributed so much to what and who we are today. (Sorry Mom, I'm not blaming you.) You gave us so much, and expected so little in return. I only hope that the people and the parents that we have become today, in some way shows you the great job that you did.

You know, now that I think about it, I seem to remember that Mom always liked the efforts of originality the best of anything I gave her over the years on Mother's Day (so maybe I'll get away with this).

Happy Mother's Day, Mom.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I second the sentiments of my Irish twin!

Anonymous said...

Tim, Your giving me more credit than I deserve. I' m just being a mother, just loved our kids. Mom

Timothy W Higgins said...

What a world is spoken when "just being a mother" is said.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I rest my case...