Thursday, September 6, 2012

TFP Column: Wait Until Next Year




I don't often get to talk about my beloved Cubbies when writing for the TFP.  So you can imagine my disappointment when I only allow myself to bring them up when they are 30 games out of first in their division with no chance to break their World Series drought (the only drought I can think of that's worse than that here in KC).  Then again, Cubs fans have been looking at disappointing seasons (and getting far too used to them) for over 100 years with a yearning in their hearts for what might have been, and what might still one day come to pass.

It was with this point of view in mind that I found myself writing of what I saw in the aftermath of the Republican Convention.  It seemed to me that just like in 2008, members of the GOP were more excited about the running mates picked and the up-and-comers giving speeches during the convention than they were about the candidate they chose for the highest office in the land.  You may not agree with me (in fact you may violently disagree with me), but it certainly seems like Republicans are to some extent, already looking at their November prospects and telling themselves "Wait Until Next Time".  

One thing you're going to have a lot more difficulty not agreeing with me on however, is that if you want to know what's going on in Toledo and Northwest Ohio, the only real way to find out is to read Toledo's largest Sunday circulation and for the fourth time its Best Weekly Newspaper, the Toledo Free Press.

  

No comments: