Sunday, February 27, 2011

TFP Column: Political Prestidigitation


It hardly seems like a week since my last effort for the Toledo Free Press. Of course that may be because it actually hasn't. I can only assume that editor-in-chief Michael Miller is working even harder than usual, since he got this effort up only hours after I sent it to him on a Saturday.

The effort, "Political Prestidigitation" (and yes I had to check the spelling), came from realizing that the shows going on in Madison, in Columbus, and elsewhere across the country might not be the point of the story. I also realized that the casting of the roles for heroes and villains for this entertainment might have some flaws in it.

In fact, the more I got to thinking about it, the more the whole thing began to look like a rather shabby magic trick; and the secret to understanding it might be penetrating the misdirection being performed by many of the players on stage. I hope you find my own verbal sleight-of-hand equally intriguing.

The effort this week is truly going up rather early in the process, so there's no telling what compelling stories might yet develop through the week ahead. If you want to know what's going on in Toledo and NW Ohio however, you going to want to do so through the Toledo Free Press Star edition mid-week; and Toledo's largest Sunday circulation newspaper, the Toledo Free Press.


No comments: