Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Right Tools

I once owned a house in the suburbs of Columbus which had a fireplace in the center of one wall in the family room, and for many years I knew that I wanted bookcases surrounding this fireplace. Thinking that I might have barely enough ability (and enough arrogance) to believe that could do it, I further conceived of building these bookcases myself. 

I quickly realized however that though I had a good circular saw, I would need a good router, a hand sander, and numerous wood clamps to see this done properly. Even though I had drawn up the plans and purchased the lumber required (and it was taking up all of the room in my garage), I refused to move forward on the project until I could get the proper tools. When I was finally able to do so, it became much easier to realize my vision, and through the use of those tools I had what I had wanted. 

This story comes back to mind now as we cycle through an election year that will see us participating in the voting process more than once. (Some of us outside of Ohio have already started in fact.) It strikes a chord in me as I am forced to wonder why we do not seem to take the time to find the right tools in one of the most important projects in which we participate, the governing of our country. 

Oh we spend a lot of time shopping for the tools (far too much in my opinion, but I have already spoken on that subject), but seem intent on choosing the wrong ones regardless of the effort expended. 

Some of them are the prettiest ones on the shelf, and though probably useless, we choose them on their looks alone. Some we choose because they are the newest and the latest gadgets, and promise not only to complete these tasks required, but to do the work better because they are different. Some catch our eye because they seem to have been around forever, and have some history of performing the task required. All of them without fail however, appear to be the most expensive available, are probably a waste of our time and money, and seem with any kind of careful examination to be the wrong tools for the project at hand. 

Perhaps it's that we don't understand the nature of the project that we are trying to complete, though everyone seems to have an idea of what good governing should be? Perhaps it's a lack of training in what to look for, though I hear few if any complaining that they don't understand the process and asking for help? Maybe shopping for them at the same two stores is just wrong, and we are afraid to admit that we don't know where to look for the right tools? After all, these weren't always the only stores around. Maybe we are all just sick of trying to pick out the right tools, are willing to push forward and get the project done in the best fashion that we can, and are equally willing to live with the imperfections that such a method means?

When all is said and done, it seems to me that we instead fall back on something else we used in the old days when a problem had to be solved and we didn't know what tools to use or have the right ones. We called it the "Polish Tool Kit" (no insult to people of that heritage intended). In it were: a pair of channel lock pliers (for those who don't know what these are, you will just have to look it up), a screwdriver, and a two pound sledge hammer. 

The idea was that all nuts and bolts could be handled with the pliers (though probably badly and usually doing some damage in the process), all the screws could be handled with the screwdriver (sometimes requiring the assistance of the hammer), and all problems that couldn't be solved with the first two tools could be beaten into an unrecognizable mess by the hammer. 

I fear that as this election year draws to a close, we will again have failed to achieve a successful solution to the project of government, a solution which can only be realized by the use of the proper tools. Unfortunately we will in spite of the time, money and effort spent, be left with another unrecognizable mess. 

 

No comments: